Select Page

If you’ve been in an accident and suffered an injury, you may be referred to a number of different rehabilitation specialists. But should you work with an occupational therapists or a physical therapist in NJ to help during your recovery? Keep reading to find out the difference between the two and how to decide which you need to see.

Differences Between Occupational and Physical Therapy Services
While an occupational therapist and physical therapist in NJ can both help you recover your life and do what you love to do, the focus is different for both. A physical therapist in New Jersey helps you to recover lost mobility. For example, if you have broken a leg in an accident, your physical therapist will help you learn to walk, stretch, and drive a car again. If you experience chronic back pain, physical therapy in NJ can help you to manage this pain, strengthen other muscles for support, and move more easily. On the other hand, occupational therapists in NJ help you to do what you love—regardless of limitations. If that broken leg will never move like it used to, your occupational therapist could help you learn how to walk with a walker or cane, or operate an accommodated motor vehicle. Occupational therapists can help you structure your day and manage limitations so you can still do what you love.

Your Needs Determine Your Recovery Services
Occupational and physical therapy is not an “either-or” situation. You can, and many people are, seeing both rehab specialists in NJ! When you choose an in-home rehabilitation specialist, you can enjoy the comforts of home while still recovering. You will start by determining what your needs are, and choosing a provider based on that. If your needs are primarily mobility or movement, physical therapy is usually the right choice. If you need to work around limitations, accommodate your unique body, or learn adaptive technology, occupational therapy may be the better choice.

How to Choose Between OT and PT in NJ
How do you choose? Start by working with your primary care team or recovery team. If you have been injured in an accident, your surgical team, orthopedics, or pain management doctors may be involved. If you are dealing with a progressive illness, you may seek the advice of rheumatology, neurology, or your medical care coordinator. Your expert doctors can help you figure out what will work, and guide your treatment.

You don’t have to feel stuck with limitations to physical health! Call the Home Rehab Consultants today to get started on a plan to move better and do what you love!